Athens was settled before West Virginia was even a state, so there’s plenty of history here!
1848: William Holroyd came to Mercer County and bought a farm 2 miles from present day Athens.
1869: Residents of the community became upset at the long distance they had to travel to go to Court as the courthouse was located in Princeton. A small courthouse was built in a 4 bedroom log house.
1896: The community of Concord Church applied for a post office. It was then recommended that the name of the town be changed to Athens since there was already a “Concord” in West Virginia.
1910: The College’s brick building was burned down, so classes were held in any other vacant buildings available, including churches.
1912: The home of Mr. & Mrs. H.H. Ball was constructed and has since been inhabited by members of the Ball family.
1912: A new building was added to the campus of the school, “Old Main,” now known as Marsh Hall.
1931: The name of the college was changed to Concord State Teachers College.
1943: The name of the school was changed to Concord College. The College is now known as Concord University.